I am currently finishing a Christmas quilt and I am having issues with it. The recommended backing fabric size was off even if I literally followed the author's instructions to the letter. This is so supposed to be the largest quilt I am making thus far and as a newbie I have to rely whatever I read. It seems like the pattern was not tested for accuracy.
But anyway, I figured out a way to make it work. I cut the backing fabric in half lengthwise and added two columns of rectangles in the center and also added fabric in the top and bottom areas.
Hopefully I will get better as time goes by. For now, I have to put this aside to give attention to another project - my son's Halloween costume. The finish quilt I will post in time for Christmas season.