Jan 14, 2014
Jan 10, 2014
First things first! Needle organization. After procrastinating for so long, I am back to square one. The hard part is I couldn't figure out right away what needle size is attached into my machine and I thought there should be a solution to this!
One day I was browsing Thread Magazine and one lady had the same problem I have. She used a tomato pincushion and marked each section with different needle size. Each time she attaches the needle to her sewing machine, she'll put a glass-head pin in the pincushion in its place. So I decided to use the same concept, I made myself a needle book and on it are pages marked with needle sizes.
Oct 31, 2013
Nov 2, 2012
Here are some photos during my son's trick or treating in school and in our neighborhood. I made him his Dracula costume using McCall's M6417 pattern in view C.
I was a little bit skeptical with my choice of fabric. Slippery fabrics like satin are very difficult to handle but the walking foot worked fine with it. My son loved his costume. I didn't have a hard time taking his photos because he was very cooperative.
|I made this photo box for my son's kinder school.|
Oct 24, 2012
I had been thinking of making pincushions but never push through with the idea. While I was sewing my son’s Halloween costume, I kept dropping pins on the floor (I have so many) as if suggesting that it’s time to make one and so I did.
I thought about something easy so I made a pillow pincushion.
Then again, I want to see what other people created so I browsed online and saw this cute picture frame pincushion.
I was inspired so I made my own version. This picture frame was from one of my thrift-shopping and coincidentally my fabric color matched the frame. (Yes, I love, love thrift shops but that’s another story)
Oct 11, 2012
I am currently finishing a Christmas quilt and I am having issues with it. The recommended backing fabric size was off even if I literally followed the author's instructions to the letter. This is so supposed to be the largest quilt I am making thus far and as a newbie I have to rely whatever I read. It seems like the pattern was not tested for accuracy.
But anyway, I figured out a way to make it work. I cut the backing fabric in half lengthwise and added two columns of rectangles in the center and also added fabric in the top and bottom areas.
Hopefully I will get better as time goes by. For now, I have to put this aside to give attention to another project - my son's Halloween costume. The finish quilt I will post in time for Christmas season.
Oct 5, 2012
Sewing patterns for men and boys are not as extensive as their counterparts. I had this book “Sewing for Boys" by Shelly Figueroa and Karen LePage for the longest time and so I thought I should make something quick for my son.
This was an easy-to-sew project though the authors categorized it as intermediate. I used old pants to create it and turned out to be great. My son loves it and me too! Not bad for a casual boy-look.